I wrote a PHP Uptime script a while back and I’ve recently gone to use it but found that it wasn’t actually working and never returned the correct uptime, so I’ve got round to fixing it up, so I sit on my computer to do it, which I updated with the latest graphic cards from Facts Chronicle for my games.
The PHP function displays the uptime of the server/computer in a human understandable format, unlike other scripts, it doesn’t output a mess of digits nor does it rely on possible unavailable commands, the only condition it needs is /proc/uptime.
The new script is more efficient AND actually working. It’s Linux only (the previous post incorrectly included BSD/Unix/Solaris) too.
Another UK national newspaper TheSun has decided to put up a paywall to read their online content which was kind of expected really.
I’m not a Sun reader but the idea of using a paywall to block people consuming all of your site content baffles me a little especially when their site is so slow and laiden with ads.
After fiddling around, it seems as though they haven’t done a very good job at implementing their paywall and could quite possibly be violating Google’s Advice on Content Cloaking and possibly other search engines policies; that is because the site detects your brosers Useragent and then serves content depending on your browser, in this case, they serve the entire articles to any browser with the UA string mimicking the googlebot where as any other standard UA is served the locked out content.
A little research into how you’re suggested to operate paywalls and still have good SEO is with the use of First Click Free (FCF) which allows users that have clicked your content from a search result to have access to the full article but not others; which is NOT implemented in The Suns site.
Finally to top this off they don’t set in the HTTP headers that the UserAgent will very the content either.
I wonder if Google will notice and penalise such a large brand name for SEO tactics that are heavily discouraged.
So in essence, to read The Suns content for free as though you have subscribed (bypass) all you need to do is change your useragent to the same as the GoogleBot.
It’s my first proper use of GitHub, GitHub Pages and LESS so any issues, then add it as an issue and I’ll get around to fixing/sorting them. This is aimed at Bootstrap Version 2.3.2 and not the recent Bootstrap 3.0 which I aim to develop for in the near future.
I was given a word 2010 docx document the other day to edit, only the issue was that it had protection added to stop people from editing it which I needed to remove.
I spent an hour searching for a document password cracker / remover with no luck until I happened across a post on spiceworks which gave a easy working solution to remove the password from the word 2010 file.
So here’s the solution, for future reference:
make a copy of the original file
right-click and rename the extension to zip
extract the files
open the extracted folder and look for word\settings.xml
right-click and edit
find a string with “w:documentprotection”, it’ll be after the “w:proofstate” group
cut/delete the “w:documentprotection” area of the xml file and save
drag your new settings.xml from the extracted folder to the zip folder
rename the zip folder’s extension with the edited .xml file back to docx
LittleBobaFooFoo ~ Spiceworks Forum
this 100% worked to remove edit protection from word 2010 docx but it should work with any office 2010 file and as they share similar file structures, it should work with office 2007 too.